Friday, December 14, 2012

Barbie Ornament

In the ornament making sweat shop, I have admittedly been in this past month, I couldn't forget about making a special ornament for Grace.

While I make ornaments, I often multi-task by playing Barbies with Grace.  It seemed only fitting, Grace's ornament be a Barbie ornament.


Supplies Needed:
Felt
Batting or extra layer of felt {to fill your ornament with}
Black Embroidery Thread and Needle
Ribbon {for the ornament loop}
Water Soluble pen
And, the Barbie pattern,  which I had pinned from Frou Frou by Heathersue but no longer is up on her site, SO if you want to make one of your own, you can use the pattern I pinned.

Begin by tracing the Barbie pattern onto your felt. 


Using a stem stitch, embroider along the outline.


On the back of this ornament, I decided to embroider Grace's name with a TM and the date.  I wanted it to have a Barbie like feel to how I personalized it.  This is optional, the ornament is just as cute without anything on the back.


When you have finished your embroidery, cut your Barbie out.  I used a circle shape.  Cut the back out in the same size and the batting or extra layer of felt out in a slightly smaller circle. 


All that is left to do is assemble your ornament.  Fold your ribbon over into a loop, apply a generous layer of glue above the ribbon loop and below it as well as around the perimeter of the circle.


Place the batting or extra layer of felt down in the center of the ornament, making sure there is still plenty of glue left around to attach the top layer. 


Attach the top layer, let dry and then admire on your tree.


13 comments:

  1. Oh my, this is one Grace will appreciate even more when she's older with the hand sewing and all! You have been super productive in your sweat shop! Who doesn't love Barbie! (My older sister always made me be Skipper.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I love the sweatshop reference. And the trademark label on the back. And the rest goes without saying :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! You do such lovely work. Your daughter is going to appreciate all of these when she's older.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the vintage Barbie silhouette! And I'm getting a kick out of the trademark! Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore that all of your ornaments have the name and year for each person they go to. Makes it all the more special!
    xoxo
    Amie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that! My husband has only allowed me to have boys because he's genetically biased, so I must enjoy sweet little ornaments like this from afar. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so cute, I want one. I always wanted a Barbie loving daughter - Elizabeth wasn't interested and so far Madeleine isn't either. I bet Grace went nuts for it. I love the TM so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. precious!! what did she say when she saw it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do the most beautiful stitches! And you have the most beautiful ideas! This is once again so gorgeous :-). And Grace can hang it on her own tree one day and remember how she played Barbie with you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am visiting from Winthrop Chronicles. I realized that I have been here before (Batman ornament) so I had to subscribe this time. Too cute! Visit me at:
    http://www.thelostapron.com/2012/12/traditions-continue.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are so talented and Grace is blessed to have you as her Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is still on Heather's site: http://www.froufroubyheathersue.com/store1/#!/~/product/id=5582910

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...